Hello and welcome to my blog. I’ve been living in the Bay Area since my undergraduate days at UC Berkeley. In the 90’s I made a career change when I learned Perl and caught the Web programming bug. In 2000 I started teaching Web programming at City College of San Francisco, where I developed the CS Department’s PHP, Ruby, Rails, and WordPress/Drupal courses. From 2008 to 2015 I taught my courses at the College of San Mateo.
- All-time favorite languages: Ruby, PHP, Smalltalk, Lisp, Python, and Perl.
- OSes: I use them all, some more than others. In order of preference: Linux, OS X, Windows.
- Editors: Emacs and Vim are my constant companions. I also appreciate Netbeans and Sublime Text.
- Favorite keyboard: Pok3r 3 with Cherry MX clear switches.
- Favorite software: Orgmode. I use this software to write all of my course documents — it’s so good I feel sorry for technical writers who don’t know about it.
- This site is made with WordPress and hosted on Dreamhost.